Re-wilding Eco Therapy
An eco-psychology training over one weekend and in two different woods in Somerset
Saturday 21st – Sunday 22nd September 2019
With Debs Miller, Collette Barnard & Jane Sanders
Who is this course for?
This course is for those who want to develop a nature-based practice within their professional work with others; and for those pursuing their self-development in a way that includes an interconnected relationship with the earth.
It would be relevant for counsellors, health workers, psychotherapists, social workers, mentors, coaches, youth-workers, walking group leaders, teachers/educators and other professional therapists.
This course is about 70% experiential, it’s grounded in a synthesis of Eastern and Western therapeutic approaches.
Over the three weekends our aim is to enable you to:
- Gain confidence in working with others outside in nature
- Incorporate the symbols, metaphors and cycles of nature as a mirror of your inner journey
- Engage with others in exploring how to integrate eco-psychology into your everyday life and work
- Strengthen the sense of interconnection and inter-being with the more than human world
Sessions will take place outdoors in 2 different wood-scapes as well as the use of indoors at the Sweet Track Centre in central Glastonbury.
- A three-strand model of eco-psychology overview
- Research on the benefits of working in nature
- Nature as therapeutic container
- Tracking our connection and disconnection in our relationship with nature
- Reciprocal connection with nature, a two-way whole system process.
- Eco-centric client assessment- indicators & contra-indicators for taking people outside
- Embodied Relational connection
- Theories behind the practice
- Exploring the cycles of the seasons: and finding our place in these cycles
- Spiritual ecology/deep ecology. Recognizing and being with our feelings in relation to the earth & the challenges we and future generations face in the changing times and collective movement.
- Working creatively & playfully in the landscape
- Practical essentials i.e. insurance – contracting, health and safety, boundary issues etc.
- Aversions and phobias- innocence and vulnerability.
- Deep listening to nature, an inner stilling to deepening connection. Becoming the woods
- Can nature provide the answers?
- Skills practice
- Eco-therapy indoors and outdoors.
The cost of the course is £185. A £50 deposit secures your place. Early-bird reduction of £15 when paid in full by 1st July 2019.
Some concessions are available.
This cost includes a vegan Lunch
This 2-day non-residential course is in two different woods, Saturday in Glastonbury and Sunday in Somerton, both in Somerset.
There is optional, bring your own breakfast, wild camping at the woods in Somerton, by donation.
Saturday 21st September 2019 Secret Valley Wood, Glastonbury
Sunday 22nd September 2019 Hallr Wood, West Charlton, Somerton
Collette Barnard is the founder and head of trainings at the Sweet Track Counselling Services; she has worked with groups, individuals and couples since 1982. She is committed to spirituality, psychic and energy awareness, interconnection with our sacred land, and the great mysteries in Life. She communicates self-empowerment and the unveiling of one’s own personal and unique connection to Spirit.
Jane Sanders has been a Core Process Psychotherapist since 1990. She first came across eco-psychology & deep ecology in the 1980’s reading John Seed and Joanna Macy and eventually training as a ‘Work that Reconnects facilitator. She has been teaching eco-psychology on the Sweet Track counselling training for the last 7 years and is a member of ‘Wisdom Tree’ a group of facilitators working mainly from Hazel Hill Wood Education Centre.
Debs Millar is a founder of an educational charity www.wilderwoods.org She has been running long term therapeutic forest school based programmes at Hallr Wood since 2008, with a strong focus on secondary aged young people, many with additional needs. Since 2016 she has also been working with young adults with autism on a Growing for Well Being Project near Baltonsborough.
application form (pdf)
To download form: right click and save file as.